These sweet potato wedges are perfect to accompany steak or fish but just as great to eat on their own! A small amount of prep beforehand adds a tonne of flavour and is well worth the extra effort.
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes 500g
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh garlic puree (or finely chopped garlic
- 4 tbsp orange juice
- Few sprigs of fresh rosemary finely chopped
- Small radish thinly sliced
- A handful of chives finely chopped
- Feta cheese to crumble
- Clean the sweet potatoes – they might need a good scrub, pat dry with a paper towel, and cut into wedges. Don’t make them too small or they will break apart when you grill them.
- Cook in water on the hob for 6 or 7 mins. Should be just tender when pierced. Drain and place on a drying rack or a paper towel.
- Add together the oil, orange juice, and chopped rosemary in a bowl, and add the wedges while they’re still hot. For best results, leave them in the fridge overnight but a minimum of an hour to marinate for best results.
- Grill them on your chiminea for 5 to 7 mins, turning when needed. Use extra marinade to baste them.
- To cook sweet potatoes in the fire, wrap in tinfoil and place amongst the hot coals for 40-50 mins.
- You can cook butternut squash or pumpkin the same way.
- Orange juice is not essential and you may prefer it without.
Recipe inspiration from ‘Cooking with Chimineas‘ by Wendy Sweetser – thank you, Wendy!
For some steak to go with your sweet potato, check this herby steak chiminea recipe.