Tandoori recipes and perfect for chimineas as the combination of open coals and clay ovens mimic that of a traditional tandoor oven. This recipe is taken from the book ‘Cooking With Chimineas’ by Wendy Sweetser and there are some terrific chiminea recipes specific to the various methods of cooking on a chiminea.
- 4 chicken fillet breasts or 8 boneless chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsp of Tandoori curry paste (tikka masala paste also works) or try making your own.
- 200g (7 oz) natural yoghurt
- 2 lemons -juice of 1 lemon + lemon in quarters
- 2 Tbsp of your favourite cooking oil – coconut oil works really well
- 1/2 cucumber finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped corriander (use other green leaf eg chard, if you don’t like corriander)
- Naan bread (or similar – pita bread an option)
- Leafy mixed salad
- Dice the chicken into 2.5cm (1 inch) cubes an dpplace in a shallow container – dish type not imporant
- Mix together the curry paste, half of the yoghurt, lemon juice and oil and sppon over the chicken. Make sure to coat well. Leave to marinade for minimum 3 hours – for best results leave to marinade overnight.
- Thread chicken pieces on skwers – no more than 4 or 5 pieces on each one. Grill on the rack for 10 mins turning and basting often.
- Mix the cucumber, coriander with the remaing yogurt and serve with the chicken. Place lemon wedge to serve.
- Try to make the chicken cubes the same size as they will cook more evenly.
- Chicken thighs usually taste better in this recipe and are cheaper and better for feeding a large group.
- If you want that crazy deep red chicken tandoori that you get in take away shops, use some red food colouring in chicken marinade.